A fun short topic for a cold and short month – Fencing and Social Media!
Almost everyone reading this probably has Facebook, Instagram and/or Twitter accounts. If you don’t follow RFC on these accounts already, I recommend you do so. In addition receiving useful and timely information (upcoming RFC tournaments, snow closings), you’ll also see lots of pictures of our talented young fencers competing and often standing on the podium receiving medals at tournaments. You may also learn a bit about fencing from a parent’s perspective along the way.
Another great website to follow is US Fencing on Facebook. US Fencing posts a combination of results and photos from national and international competitions.
Here are some other informational and fun fencing-related Facebook accounts:
- Western NY Fencing: The Facebook page for the Western NY division of US Fencing
- The Fencing Coach: This page is hosted by several fencing coaches in the US and Canada. It has excellent articles and posts about being a “good” fencing parent (supportive, not obsessive!)
- The Fenc3r: Inspirational fencing photos and sayings
- Fencing.net: Many posts / pictures from international competitions
- Ontario Fencing Association: Posts about fencers and competitions from our northern neighbor
If your fencer is 13 or over, they may also enjoy following the Instagram accounts of some of our top US fencers. My daughter follows all of these, so based on prior posts I can say they post content OK for teen viewers (they have lots of followers and are aware that many are young fencers). As with all individual social media, if you’re at all concerned about content you should check it out for yourself first. All of these individuals are quite active and it can be inspirational to see their travels and accomplishments:
- On Instagram
- @leetothekiefer: Lee Kiefer, a top US foil fencer and Olympian
- @nicoleross_usa: Nicole Ross, US Women’s Foil national team
- @gerekmeinhardt: Gerek Meinhardt, US Olympian, Men’s Foil
- @mchamleywatson: Miles Chamley-Watson, US Olympian, Men’s Foil
- @race_imboden: Race Imboden, US Olympian, Men’s Foil – also a fashion model, you’ve probably seen him in J. Crew ads!
- @dagmarawozniak: Dagmara Wozniak, US Women’s Sabre team
- @mariel.zagunis: Mariel Zagunis, two-time Olympic Champion, Women’s Sabre
- @fencingposts: Not a specific fencer, but many funny and inspirational posts
There are many others, but I’m limiting this list to accounts where I reviewed recent content. I realize this list is heavy on Foil (since that’s my daughter’s weapon) but I’m sure there are many Épée and Saber fencers as well.
So, embrace the social media aspect of fencing, as it’s truly a global community!